Submit Shifts is a modernised process for timesheet management. It allows employees to submit hours they've worked on a daily basis via their employee portal, alongside extra information such as leave taken, comments and uploading files e.g., medical certificates.
The employee can be rostered on, or not rostered at all. Once the shift is submitted, it will go into Approve Shifts pending approval by admin.
If this is something you are interested in using, we'd recommend having a chat to our customer success team on the best way to roll this out - just shoot them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our 2 min Submit Shifts video below!
To enable the Submit Shifts setting for employees, this involves:
- Enabling the Submit shifts setting to be used in your Platform.
- Note: If you are currently using timesheets, you will not be able to use timesheets with Submit shifts.
- Select the hamburger icon to open the full menu and select Platform Settings > System Settings.
- Switch the toggle 'on' for the setting 'Allow employees to submit shifts'.
Enabling Submit Shifts toggle on employee's profile.
To switch on for an individual employee:
- Navigate to People > Approved people and select the desired person or search for the desired person using the search box.
- In the Employees Overview, enable 'Can Submit Shifts' toggle to 'on' and save.
To switch on for multiple employees:
- Navigate to People > Approved people and select the desired people
- In Bulk Actions select 'Set Submit Shift Setting for selected'
- Enable toggle 'on' and save
- Once enabled, employees will be able to see a 'Times Icon' in their Employee Portal
Note: If you have salaried staff who have the setting 'automatic payment' option on, meaning that their hours do not need to be approved a manager each day. Submit shifts will not be available for those employees (as they do not appear on Approve Shifts).
When your business uses Submit Shifts, your employees will be able to view their shifts and Submit Shifts for the past shifts employees worked through the times icon in the Employee App.
There are 2 ways in which employees can submit their shifts worked:
- They are rostered for the shifts and hence will see the rostered shift in their Times section in the Employee App. At the end of the day, they will review the shift and submit it.
- They can submit a shift that they weren't rostered for, but worked by adding the shift to their Times section in the Employee App.
- Once submitted these then flow through to Approve Shifts for admin users to approve.
Submitting a shift:
Each day employees will need to submit their shifts worked for the day before. To do so they:
- Select Times from the menu.
- And then select the relevant Week Starting if needed. This will default to the current week.
To submit a shift that an employee is rostered on for:
- The employee will locate the rostered shift listed in Times in the Employee App. They will review the details and select the Submit button.
To submit a shift that an employee hasn't been rostered on for:
- The employee will select Add to Week in the times menu in the Employee App.
- Add Shift details
- Break time 30 m= 30 minutes 1 h= 1 hour
- Roster- select the roster you worked on
- Select the specific Position you worked for
- Save & Create Shift
- To Submit the created shift, select the Submit button.
Depending on your business, employees can also add:
- Leave (if your business adds leave in this way)
- Be prompted to submit a physical timesheet in additional to submit shifts at the end of each week for each employer worked (this is a system setting which needs to be enabled).
Once Employees have added in their Submitted shifts, they will now display in Your Shifts in the Times section and a button will appear which shows that 'You're up to date'.
Please note: Employees can only edit times that they have created.
If your business requires you to submit a physical timesheet.
- On the Times home screen, you'll notice a Add Timesheet button.
- When you select Add timesheet, you will be prompted to submit your weekly timesheet per employer and select submit.
- Once submitted it will display in green.
When employees submit their shift worked, this will display in:
- In Time & Attendance > Approve Shifts, you'll then need to either Approve, Decline or Edit the Approved Shift.
- Once a shift is managed, if you happen to return to the roster, the action that you've taken will also reflect on the roster.
- If you decline a shift that is submitted by an employee, it will display with a strikethrough as per below: