Each time you process payroll in the platform, an option will appear to submit your data to the ATO now or later.
- Once you have processed your final pay for the current financial year when you navigate to Pay > Single Touch Payroll > STP Finalisation you will see all your employees paid (including any employees who were declined, archived or terminated) ready in pending for finalisation.
- See also our helpful EOFY & STP finalisation webinar.
Please note until you process your final pay for the financial year you will not see any employees under the pending tab.
Also if you are unable to submit a STP submission because you see a message that says 'Currently in Review in STP finalisation' please see our helpful guide here.
If you chose to submit the data later, it is very important that you review and send your data as soon as possible, and clean up any backlogs of submissions. Submissions needs to be finalised for EOFY.
- Navigate to Pay > Single Touch Payroll and review the Require Action tab which will show all your outstanding submissions. If you have an outstanding submission, click View Details to review.
- Review the pay data, and if happy click Validate Data to submit to the ATO. This will move the submission into the Submitted category (Submitted, Completed or Deleted). This means it is in the queue with the ATO and will move to completed once it's approved.
- If you have any errors with the submission, it will move into the Errors category. You can view the error details here in the error tab.
- Once you have submitted all your outstanding STP submissions, you're able to select STP Finalization after you have processed your last pay for the financial year.
- You'll now see each step to be completed in the tabs including:
In Pending select the relevant financial year e.g. 2020-2011. You will then see a full list of employees paid last financial year, this includes all approved, archived or declined people that were paid in the relevant financial year. You can select all employees or process per office code. Keep an eye out on the progress bar at the bottom to confirm how many employees you have selected and adjust your page view to see more employees. Once you have selected your employees select Declare final pay.
If you import Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) at the end of each year, you can click on the FBT import shortcut link which takes you to the CSV import page. Here you can import your FBT data. Return to Pay> Single Touch Payroll > STP Finalisation and ensure to refresh the page. Please note you will see that you'll need to now submit STP for those employees (otherwise they will appear as a warning in Pending).
In Review you'll be able to review your employee details and reconcile.
Click on review for the employee to see the STP line item report for that employee.
See our reconciliation guide for more information as well as the STP finalisation tips below.
Once you have reconciled, you're ready to send the data to the ATO for finalisation. You can also notify your employees that their pay is finalised. Please note the ATO may take up to 72 hours for the 'Tax ready status' to be updated in myGov. When you first submit your data it will display as 'Waiting for ATO's response', once received it will show as completed.
- Through the process of reconciling you may create a STP event (for example where you create a new adjustment). When this occurs the employee that was previously in the review step will be moved back to pending. This ensures that you have fully reconciled the data for this employee (by finalising them for review).
- Please note this will also occur if you're in step 3 (finalise) and you make a change to an employee. In both scenarios you'll need to submit the new STP event.
- Finalise the employee's final pay, review and reconcile and then send the final data to the ATO.
- Select Email unnotified employees. Confirm and send. Please note that you will not be able to notify previously notified employees.
- To see the email content, click on Manage email content which is a shortcut to the communication content template. Here you can edit the content of the email by turning Use Default Email Content off.