Custom Fields are a great way to customise your reporting, especially where you use them to collect additional information about your employees either through onboarding or on the employee's profile such as:
- Capture Covid-19 vaccination (vaccine- AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna etc) information
- Hardware provided to individuals with expiration dates such as laptop end of life.
- Uniform sizes.
- Qualification's expiry dates.
- Employee deductions valid until.
You can also produce reports for Custom fields.
Below is an example for setting up questions for the Covid- 19 Vaccination.
Example of a Vaccine report that can be produced through an Approved People Export. The example below shows just one person who has been fully vaccinated as an example.
To set up Custom Fields:
- First consider who you would like to complete this fields for example:
- New employees (you may consider adding custom fields to your onboarder with foundU's assistance) or
- Existing employees (you can either use tags to select a group of employees and then through the onboard or if you have a small number of employees you can have an admin assign the fields to their employee profile).
- Or would a Admin apply the fields to an employee's profile (on the employees behalf).
- Make sure the Custom Field types you would like to apply are set up in your Platform Settings.
- Choose how you wish for the Custom Fields to be applied:
- The employee fills it in during their onboarding.
- Admin manually applies it on the employee's profile.
To add new custom field or edit existing ones:
- In the quick menu select the hamburger icon to open the full menu and select Platform Settings> Custom Fields. You'll see a list of existing custom fields.
- Select Add Custom Field.
- Name your section heading e.g. Laptop issued
- Select a type of field to add.
- The field types available are:
- Text Field- allows you to enter in any text when you select this custom field (max 1 line).
- Long Text Field- allows you to enter in text over multiple lines (max 3 lines).
- Drop down- Single- select one option from a drop down menu.
- Drop down- Multiple- select multiple options from a drop-down menu e.g. Mac or PC for Laptop type.
- Date picker- allows you to choose a date for a custom field e.g. Date uniform sizing details provided.
- File upload- allows you to upload a file. Tip: you can add this field in multiple times if you'd like multiple documents to be uploaded. You can have a maximum of 5 files uploads.
- You can also switch toggles on for:
- Has valid till date- this will add a Day, Month, Year drop down.
- Includes Financial or Sensitive information- this will hide the information collected from those who do not have financial permissions (Admin users will need to have the permission view financial detail turned on).
- Visible to employee (in the Employee App)- makes the custom field visible to the employee in the Employee App via View Profile > Other.
- The field types available are:
- Repeat for any additional fields you'd like to add.
- Your custom field will now be listed in the Custom fields menu. If you have a few fields, you may need to scroll to the bottom.
Using Custom fields to track Covid-19 vaccinations
In the example below the custom fields used are:
- Drop-down multiple- 'What is your Covid-19 Vaccination status?'
- And then 3 options are added e.eg. I am fully vaccinated etc.
- Date picker for 'If you selected fully vaccinated, please provide the date of your completed' vaccination
- File upload for 'Please upload your proof of vaccination.'
Looking for more great tips for your Covid vaccine process?
- Check out our checklists guide for setting up a admin checklist so that your admins can complete checks for Vaccines as part of their process.
- Or check out our communicating with employees guide for more communication options such as sending a customised email to your staff to update their information.
Apply the custom field selection in the employee's profile as an Admin user
- Add the custom field in the employee's profile (see above) by clicking Edit and then selecting Save to exit out of the Custom Fields selection.
How employees can update their custom fields from the Employee app.
- Please note for your employees to be able to see this option, ensure to have selected Visible to employee (in the Employee App). This then makes the custom field visible to the employee in the Employee App via View Profile > Other (or under financial if you have also selected that the information is sensitive e.g. financial details).
- You may also like to check out our helpful communicating with employees guide to send your employees a message/ instructions on where to locate this information.
Custom Fields can be added to your employee onboarding process through the implementation process or via request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is an example of a Custom Field called 'Laptop issued' in the employee's onboarder:
To add a Custom Field in an employee's profile:
- Locate the desired employee profile (search for employee in search box or via People > Approved People).
- Select the Employee card icon and scroll to the Custom Fields tab.
- Select the Custom Fields Edit button.
- This will display the Custom Fields that you have set up in your platform. Select Add Field to add a custom field.
- If you would like to add a new Custom Field that is not currently in this list see below: Adding or editing a custom field.
- The fields that are available to be added are displayed.
- Add the field e.g. Laptop issued. You can also fill in these details from here and Save.
Exporting Custom Field date:
- You're able to export the data contained in Custom fields. To do so navigate to People > Approved People (or Pending People).
- Use the Show filter to filter your employee list e.g. all full time staff.
- Select in Bulk actions > Export filtered and from the Export options you can now see Custom Fields options added.
- Select the fields desired and select Export CSV.
- An example of the output:
Covid Vaccination report example
In this example the fields selected are:
- Employee ID
- Full name
- Date of Birth
- Custom fields Covid 19 information