Updating and managing employee availability
If you have casual staff members they can update their availability to assist you with rostering or sending them shifts. If you have availability enabled on your platform, it will allow you more insight into when your casual workforce is available and ready to work for you.
- Employees are able to update their availability through the Employee App.
- Admin users are able to view the availability that an employee has updated through the Availability menu. Availability also flows through to Rosters.
There are two types of availability:
- Ongoing availability - your available times will be recurring indefinitely, meaning you cannot be rostered on your unavailable days, e.g. a standard uni schedule.
- Once-off availability -your request will be made for a specific day or group of days only. e.g. Uni exam. This type of availability is a request and will need to be approved by the manager.
Once an employee submits their availability request it will flow through to the roster. Please note, similar to leave requests, once-off availability requests must be approved by a manager (in the Availability menu) before they flow through to the roster.
Employees can also apply their availability settings during their onboarding process. Please speak to your account manager if you'd like this included in your employee onboarding.
Employees are able to update their ongoing and once-off availability through their Employee Portal.
They may also set this during their onboarding process (if you have this included in your onboarding).
On a mobile device this is available through the Time Off button and the Availability menu.
It is best practice for an employee to submit and keep their availability up to date, however there may be times when they require you to do it for them. As an admin, you have the ability to update employee's availability upon request.To update your employee's Once-off Availability:
Remember, this is usually a request for a non reoccurring day off. e.g a uni exam day.
As you are creating this request on behalf of the employee as the Admin, it will be automatically approved, saving you time.
- Navigate to Time and Attendance > Leave.
- Select the +Create button on the right hand side.
- Select the date range for the once off request.
- Select Availability type from the drop down:
(Unavailable, Available or Partial)
- Add a reason for request e.g. requesting uni exam off
- Click Create Approved Availability Request. This request is automatically approved as you have created it at the request of the employee.
As an Admin, you can only submit Once off Availability requests on behalf of the employee by using the +Create button.
To update your employee's Ongoing Availability:Search for the employee via People > Approved people and select 'Log in as XX'. For example, log in as Melanie to change Melanie's availability.
- Select the date the change is to start.
**Please note, if you cannot select a date, this may be due to a set period of warning required before the change can take affect, or there may be another leave or availability request for the same date range.
- Select the relevant day/days.
- For those days, select one of the following
- Unavailable - Not available to work for the entire day.
- Available - Available to work for the entire day.
- Partial - Select the hours within the day you are unavailable to work e.g. 9am-12pm.
You can also +Add another time span for other hours throughout that same day. Then add in the Start and End time.
- Click +Add another time span to any additional times.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for any other days of the week by pressing +Set other days.
- Select the date in which the change will start to apply. Keep in mind there may be a notice period for availability changes e.g 3 weeks in advance
- Click Update Ongoing Availability. Before you do, you will be able to review your changes, details are located directly above the Update Ongoing Availability button.
To manage once-off availability requests:
- Navigate to Time and Attendance.
- Select Availability.
- There are 3 things to manage from this menu.
- Availability Requests- These are days off that employee's have requested off. Choose to approve or decline using the tick boxes on the right hand side.
- Casual employee Leave Requests- if a casual employee requests leave (ie, LWOP or LSL) it will come through to this menu in purple for you to approve or decline.
**Permanent employee's leave requests will come through to the Leave menu.
For more information on Casual Leave refer to this article.
- Set Time off Preferences - Use this calendar to let your employees know when a good time to request a day off may be. Or conversely, when there is no availability for time off requests ie: a very busy day requiring all casuals to be ready to work.
For more information on how to Set Time off Preferences refer to this article.
You can manage the settings of your availability via the Availability Settings Cog.