Time Off in Lieu (TOIL)
Time Off In Lieu (TOIL) needs to be turned on per employee.
Time Off in Lieu may also be called:
- Day in Lieu (DIL)
- Time Off in Lieu (TOIL)
Employees will accrue TOIL for anything over 38 hrs week / outside Ordinary Time Earnings (OTE).
An example of toil accruing may be if an employee works a 40 hour week, and their normal week is 38 hours, then they will accrue 2 hours toil. The toil balance of 2 will accrue when their pay is processed.
Hours will be automatically accrued and can be seen in the pay for the specific employee.
To check if an employee has accrued TOIL:
- Navigate to the employees profile via People > Approved people or using the search bar and selecting the desired person.
- Select the Financial icon and YTD Tab
- In the TOIL Ledger the accrued TOIL balance will display
See the TOIL Ledger for uploading TOIL balance in bulk.
To redeem TOIL:
A Redeem + TOIL button will display in the Entitlement Accruals and Adjustments section in Edit Payslips
Note: If you're not able to see this button refer to the above sections about enabling toil/ checking if an employee has accrued toil in a processed pay).
- In the quick menu navigate to Payroll > Pay.
- Find the employee and click Edit to go into their pay breakdown.
- Under TOIL Accruals you can view the hours accrued.
- Click Redeem TOIL. You can input the hours to redeem and click close.
- Note: The redeemed TOIL will only display when you preview the payslip (i.e. it won't display under pay items).
- Typically when TOIL hours are redeemed they come from the Ordinary (Normal) i.e. TOIL Balance
- When TOIL is redeemed, it is redeemed from TOIL- Ordinary (Normal) hours balance (as per Fair Work).
- Then click Calculate Totals, Preview PDF (to check).
- Click Update Pay when happy.
- When payslips are generated, the TOIL will be processed.
- TOIL can also be cashed out in the paycycle during termination - hours will be cashed out at actual hours work i.e. overtime, double time etc.
You can also run a TOIL report to see all your employee's TOIL balances.
To run the report:
- Navigate to Reports > Financial > scroll to the bottom and select the TOIL report
- Select the TOIL as at date and use additional filters if needed to filter by a specific employee or office code (or leave the filters blank to see all) and submit.
- You'll then see the TOIL report output which includes the TOIL label (what you've named your toil) Accrual amount, rate, value in dollar terms as well as the standard rate and terms.
To access the TOIL Ledger CSV Export:
- Navigate to the hamburger icon to open the full menu > Integrations > CSV Export.
- From the drop down list select TOIL Ledger.
- Use the buttons at the bottom to download:
- Get field definitions will provide you with the definitions for each of the columns in the TOIL Ledger export.
- Export current ledger will export all your existing employee's toil details including:
- Employee ID
- Employee Name
- Position Name
- Hours Balance
- Actual Rate
- Pay Rate
- Rate Factor
- You can make changes the export and reimport via the Import CSV button to update your employee's TOIL balances in bulk.
- Download blank file will download the columns to use as template but no employee data.