Processing pay for your employees
Before processing pays, you will need to make sure you have finalised all data for payroll depending on how you manage approvals:
- Make sure all shifts have been approved (Approve Shifts).
- Make sure all leave applications for permanent staff have been approved (Leave) and for casual employees (Availability).
- You can also make edits to your payslips (if needed) before processing (see the section below).
Important Super Update:
The Superannuation guarantee is increasing from 9.5% to 10% from the 1st July 2021.
- foundU will be applying this in your Platform and it will be effective from the 1st July. There is no further action required from the admin side.
- Any payslip with a payment date after 1st July will be paying super at 10%.
- If the payslip is not reprocessed, the increase will happen at the time of payslip generation. Payslips will also keep the super rate they are originally processed under e.g. if you process a payslip this financial year at 9.5% and edit that payslip in the new financial year, it will remain at 9.5%. If you adjust the payslip, the adjustment payslip will be at the new 10% rate.
We have included a handy short 4 min video that shows you the differences between payslip edits and adjustments. Scroll down to watch!
- In the quick menu navigate to Payroll > Pay and ensure you're in the Draft Payslips tab.
- Select the period ending date, and any other filters to locate the desired payslip.
- Locate the relevant payslip and click Action > Edit.
- You can make the below types of edits:
- Edit the pay item
- For example, you can add in Cost codes.
- Or you can adjust the hours for example if someone was on leave.
You can also redeem leave, typically there are three options:
- Use Add New Position to add in another position if that employee also worked in another role.
- Add pay item (to add a new pay item that's not presently listed).
- Add deductions- you can do this manually or check out our helpful deductions article for setting up deductions.
- Reimbursements (if your business uses this otherwise it won't appear)
- Superannuation contributions
- You'll also see entitlement accruals and these can be adjusted if needed.
- Totals (these will not be editable).
- Edit the pay item
- Once you make your edit, at the bottom select Calculate, then Preview your payslip and Save. You'll be prompted for a reason for editing the payslip.
- Once you process the payslip (see next step) the new ABA file will be available and the employee will see the only the updated payslip in their Employee App.
- Please note that you cannot delete a payslip however the edit process above will replace the payslip that was processed if needed.
Edits can also be done after the payslips have been processed, check out our helpful video to see which option (editing the payslip or creating an adjustment) is going to be most relevant depending on the change you'd like to make.
Want to know the differences between editing a payslip or creating an adjustment? Here are some handy tips:
- Editing payslips:
- Can be done before or after pay has been run.
- The ABA file is automatically created.
- This updates the current payslip, employees will only be able to access the current version.
- Creating adjustments:
- Can only be used after payroll has been processed.
- Retains the original payslip and creates a new adjustment payslip.
- You have the ability to use negative amounts.
- Provides an audit trail of the changes made.
- Sits as a draft payslip that you will need to generate.
For more detailed information, watch our short video (5 min) below, we explain more at the 1 min mark.
You can view the Award results page for a specific payslips when in Pay > Draft Payslips
To view the award results for a specific payslip:
- In Pay > Draft payslips tab, select the payslip that you would like to View the breakdown.
- the Award test page for this specific employee.
- The select the Actions button and choose View breakdown, this is a shortcut to the Award test page for this specific employee..
- Click on the name to see the breakdown. Click on the green ordinary to see more details, check out more about the Award test page here.
- Navigate to Payroll > Pay.
- Under the Draft Payslips tab, select the Period Ending date you wish to process pays for and any other filters.
- You have the option to
- preview payslips (green ID button)
- edit payslips details (Action > Edit)
- view timesheet data (timesheet ID) and calculations
- export pay data to run checks (Bulk Actions, Export)
- To process payslips you can either click:
- Generate Selected Payslips (using the check boxes next to each employee), or
- Generate All Payslips
- This will now generate payslips (which will go into the employee's portal, and produce an ABA file.
- Please note if your business uses batching you will also see your batching options at the top.
- Once generated, the payslips will appear under the Payslips tab. The ABA history button is also here to view and download your ABA.
- You can also email payslips to employees via Bulk Actions, Email payslips to all filtered. This is optional as employees can see their payslips (once processed) from their Employee App.
You have the ability to reprocess the timesheets associated with draft payslips.
- Reprocessing timesheets will remove any manual edits made to payslips.
- You can reprocess to update payslips with new interpretation, tax tables or pull through new deductions.
- In the quick menu navigate to Payroll > Pay
- Ensure the Draft Payslips tab. is selected.
- Select the relevant Period Ending and filters.
- Either select specific employee paycycle or tick all (using the check box to the left of each employee).
- Click Bulk Actions, and choose Reprocess select paycycle or Filtered (depending on your selected criteria).
The payslips will now be updated with the latest changes.