Hourly shift allowances can be added directly to a position for specific time frames. The shift allowance will be paid automatically when the employee has hours approved for the specified time frame.
When making changes to a the pay rules within a position, it is handy to know that you can apply that change to other positions if you need to. We address this process at the bottom of this guide. Please consider when you do copy the pay rules from one position to another, you may be overriding other pay rules within that position. Consider the times to do it one by one, or copy in bulk.
- Open the hamburger menu > Awards & Agreements > click the specific Award name > Select Position and Pay rules.
- Locate the position you wish to add a shift allowance to.
- Click on the small arrow to the left of the position name to open the position. Click the edit icon
- Navigate to Show/Hide shift Allowances found under the shift label, within the desired timeframe and click on it. The following additional inputs shown in the screenshot below will than appear.
- Scroll to the bottom to Save. You'll now see your shift allowance in the position preview.
- Navigate to the hamburger icon to open the full menu > Awards & Agreements > select your Award e.g. Restaurant Industry Award.
- Additional options will display as bullet point links under the award name. Select Position & Pay rules.
- Locate the position that you would like to update and click the drop down arrow and select the edit icon.
- In each time frame click on the word Show/Hide shift allowance and you will see the rate.
- Shift Allowance ($): Is the total payable amount for the shift allowance.
- Allowance Label: Allows you to specify a name for the allowance (e.g Night Shift Allowance).
- Charge Allowance: Allows you to apply a charge out value for the allowance (For invoicing scenario).
- Please note there are 3 sections this menu appears per time frame.
- Repeat for other timeframes as needed.
- Once you have completed these steps you can then save the shift allowance against the timeframe. Please remember that you will need to apply these rules to each particular timeframe along with any overtime rules found within the timeframe. As per the screen shot below, in any single timeframe there can be up to three places where these rules must be updated if required
- Edit the rate and then scroll down and scroll to the bottom to click on the Save button.
- To double check the shift allowances have been applied correctly, simply click on the drop down arrow for a quick view of the positions rules and you will now be able to see the shift allowance rules that you have applied.
Applying the shift allowance to multiple positions:
If all the positions need to have the shift allowance updated You can adjust this on bulk.
Please consider if these positions share ALL the same pay rules before proceeding. i.e timeframe and max ordinary hours. If so, then you only need to edit one position and you can apply the same rule to all other positions.
If these positions have differing pay rules, do not use this copy function as it will copy the same rules to all positions.
To apply the updated position pay rules and shift allowance to other position, first ensure that the position you are selecting has the correct shift allowance and pay rules.
This will open a modal allowing you to select positions you would like to copy to.
Note that only position pay rules i.e timeframe pay rules/penalty and overtime rules/shift and meal allowance and maximum ordinary hours for day and week will apply to the other positions. It will not change the position names or classification and rates.