Reimbursements can be processed for your employees through foundU. This can be managed by admin users or you can allow employees to submit reimbursement requests that can undergo an approval process.
In this article we will cover:
- Setting up reimbursement types for use in your platform.
- How employees can submit reimbursement requests.
- Managing employee reimbursement requests.
- How admin users can process reimbursements on behalf of employees.
There are two permissions related to Reimbursements. The permission that you have enabled may determine which functionality you can interact with.
- Manage reimbursements - Allows an admin to configure reimbursement types. Also allows for an admin to interact with reimbursements directly on a payslip.
- Authorise reimbursement requests - Allows an admin to add reimbursements in Approve Shifts. Also allows for an admin to approve employee submitted reimbursement requests.
Set Up Reimbursements
Before reimbursements can be paid to employees they will need to be configured in your platform.
To add or edit a reimbursement type:
- From the main menu, navigate to Payroll Settings > Reimbursements.
Here you'll see your existing reimbursements which can be edited if required.
Please note: You cannot delete or archive a reimbursement type.
- Select + Reimbursement type to create new or click the edit icon to the right to edit.
Enter the following information:
- Reimbursement name - The title of the reimbursement. This will be visible everywhere the reimbursement is including payslips & invoices.
- Maximum amount - The maximum amount that can be submitted in a single reimbursement request. If set to 0, there will be no maximum amount.
Billed to - Specifies whether the reimbursement is added to invoices. This option only applies to accounts using invoicing.
- Employer - The reimbursement will not be added to the invoice.
- Operation - The reimbursement will be added to the invoice.
- Add GST on Invoice - Specifies whether GST is added on top of the reimbursement on invoices. This option only applies to accounts using invoicing.
- Select Create.
You can optionally allow for employees to submit reimbursements through their Employee App or portal. This can be enabled on a per-employee basis too. This functionality is achieved through the use of Submit Shifts.
You can read more about enabling submit shifts in your platform & for employees here.
The process your employees will go through to submit their reimbursements is as follows.
- In the Employee app, an employee selects the Times icon (bottom-right) > Weekly reimbursement.
- They will select from the available reimbursement types and add all relevant information including their supporting documentation.
- The admin will then receive a notification via email or SMS.
- The request will then be ready to manage in Time & Attendance > Approve Shifts.
Employees are able to submit multiple reimbursements. This includes reimbursements of the same type.
Please note: If you have salaried staff who will be submitting reimbursements, it would be a good idea to discuss with them what roster they should select. As these employees are not necessarily rostered for their weekly work, having the conversation with them will make for a smoother experience.
Reimbursements submitted by your employees will be available to manage in Approve Shifts. The requests will sit against the roster the employee selected. This allows the reimbursement to be costed to this roster unless overridden on the position. Being a weekly item, the reimbursement will be visible on all days of the week and can be managed from any.
To manage a reimbursement request:
- Navigate to Time & Attendance > Approve Shifts.
- Locate the reimbursement request under the roster that was selected by the employee.
- Select the green tick to Approve, the red X to decline, or the pencil icon to edit.
- Before managing, you can review the uploaded documentation. This is accessible by clicking the icon in the Additional column.
- If editing the request, you can change the reimbursement type, the amount, or the supporting documentation.
- Once approved, the reimbursement will be added to the payslip for the correct period end.
Please note: Ensure that approval managers have access to the rosters that their employees will be submitting reimbursements to. This is especially important for salaried employees who are not necessarily rostered for their work hours.
Admin users are able to process reimbursements for employees on their behalf. This can be done either in Approve Shifts or directly on the draft paylsip. The steps below refer to the Approve Shifts method.
To process a reimbursement:
- Navigate to Time and Attendance > Approve Shifts.
- Use the filters to select the relevant week and operation.
- Select + Weekly item listed above the roster you'd like the reimbursement costed to and select Add reimbursement.
Add the reimbursement details.
- Reimbursement Type - The title of the reimbursement. This will be displayed to the employee on their payslip.
- Amount - The value to be reimbursed.
- Roster - The roster the reimbursement is to be costed to. This will be overridden in the case of position costing overrides.
- Position - The employee's position.
- Employee - The employee to receive the reimbursement.
- Documentation - The supporting documentation for the reimbursement. Typically a tax receipt.
- Select Add reimbursement. The reimbursement will then be added to the payslip for the correct period end.
To process a reimbursement:
- Navigate to Payroll > Pay.
- Locate the employee's payslip > select the down arrow next to the payslip ID > Edit.
- In the reimbursement section, select add reimbursement and enter the details.
- Type - The reimbursement type.
- Amount - The value to be reimbursed.
- Cost code / Purchase order - Where the reimbursement should be costed.
- Update payslip. Enter a reason for the manual edit then save changes.
To run a reimbursement report:
- Navigate to Reports > Financial and select the Reimbursements Report.
- Select your Duration - timeframe or date range.
- Select your groupings (i.e. columns to display). The available options are:
- Employee ID
- Operation ID
- Office code ID
- Cost code ID
- Pay period
- Optionally use additional filters to narrow down your returned results.
- Employees - specify particular employees to report on.
- Operations - specify reimbursements costed under specific operations.
- Office codes - The office code that paid the employee for the reimbursement.
- Reimbursement type - specify reimbursement types to report on.
- Reimbursement status - Approved or Paid.
- Optionally enable the checkbox Split reimbursements and show details.
This will ungroup reimbursements into the individual requests and make available the supporting documentation.
- Submit the report and view the details. You can also export the results to CSV, PDF and print as needed.